Monday, April 16, 2012

Sunday Morning Scones!!!

Good Monday Morning Friends....I know I promised some of you that I would post this recipe yesterday....but I got a little busy...Sorry!!!  :)

These scones are one of our favorite Sunday morning snacks...I added cranberries, almonds and orange zest to the recipe...but in the past I've added raspberries, blueberries, strawberries and even chocolate chips to them!!! This isn't a terribly sweet dough so you could even do a savory version...I'm thinking garlic and rosemary...Hmmmm...might have to give that one a try......anywho.....here's the recipe:


Basic Scone Recipe

4 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup sugar
2 Tblsp. baking powder
2 tsp. salt
3/4 lb. COLD butter, cut into pieces
4 extra large eggs, beaten slightly
1 cup heavy cream, COLD  (you could use milk, if you don't have cream if works fine)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

In a bowl or an electric mixer, with a paddle attachment, mix flour, baking powder and salt.

Add cold butter and mix on low speed until butter is pea sized.

In a small bowl slightly beat eggs and add the milk to the bowl, with mixer on low speed, slowly add to the flour mixture until blended together...dough will be sticky.  This is where you want to add your additional ingredients.  I added 1 pkg dried cranberries, the zest from 2 oranges and 1 1/2 cups of sliced almonds. Continue to mix until ingredients are combined.

NOTE:  if adding fresh berries, stir by hand...the mixer will crush the berries

Turn dough out onto floured surface and knead into a ball.....flour your rolling pin and roll the dough to 3/4 inch thickness. 


Make sure your surface is floured very well to avoid sticking.  Using a 3 inch round biscuit cutter (or any shape cutter you may have) cut out the scones and place on a baking pan that has been sprayed with cooking spray or covered with parchment paper.

Brush each scone with egg wash (1 egg beaten with a little milk) and sprinkle with sugar.

Bake for 20-25 minutes...until top is golden brown.

Remove to cooling rack.

For the glaze I used:

Confectioners Sugar
the juice of the 2 oranges I used for the zest

I don't measure my ingredients for the glaze...I just eyeball it!!!




I hope you'll give them a try...I'm sure your family will love them too!!!  Hope you all have a glorious day!!



'Til Next Time....



Enjoy!!!




linking to: 








11 comments:

  1. i love scones but have never attempted them. you make it look easy. i get the feeling that your kitchen has an endless array of yummy smells wafting through the air. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. If every day started with a scone life would be wonderful I'm sure! This looks like a great basic recipe. You can add so many yummy things to scones. I like fresh cranberries and orange zest or blueberries and lemon. Ok, I'm getting hungry!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look scrumptious! Thanks so much for sharing at Mix it up Monday :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh these look like the perfect scones, thanks for sharing!

    New follower :)

    Stephanie
    www.chocolatecoveredbuttons.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Patti...you scones look so good. We love them in our home, but I think I would mess them up. Thanks for sharing with the newbie party. Have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look SO GOOD!! I am bookmarking it to try later.
    I have a recipe of scones from a friend I promise to try first!
    It will be the battle of the scones!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmm you can't go wrong with fresh baked scones on a Sunday morning! Thanks for sharing at Beautify It Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi,

    I followed you over from Mix it up Monday and these look delish! I love a good scone and can't wait to try them out.

    I would love to invite you to share this, and any other posts you would like to, at my Creative Thursday Link Party at www.michellestastycreations.blogspot.com.

    Have a great day,
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love scones and this looks like a wonderful recipe to try! I'm over from Debbiedoo's and a new follower.

    Stop by and say hi when you can!
    Pat

    ReplyDelete